Friday 1 July 2011

So today I did the one thing I said I'd never do for my kids...

I bought a pram.  A pushchair, a babyseat on wheels.  After surviving 3 babies, with the youngest being almost 2, I finally found a need for a pram.

You see all these years, I never had the need of one.  My kids slept in my arms, got carried in pouches and backpacks or was placed in a trolley if the need arise.  So what made for the dramatic change you may ask?

Well, we are having one of our blessings in the form of a holiday in a few weeks time.  Singapore and Malaysia is on the map for this trip and unfortunately, it means a lot of walking will be involved. We will be going onto trains, buses and boats.  To make life a little easier, Madam must be accommodated in a form that will make it easier for her not to walk all the time.  Her legs are just not strong enough for all the walking involved.

The problem is, she is to heavy now-a-days to carry in the back-pack for long periods of time, plus the trains get rather full, and no-one likes to get hit in the face with a backpack full of baby.  Especially not if you consider that if she is on dad's back her feet will be on most of the Singaporeans' and Malaysians' head heights. So it brought us to this point.  We needed a pram...

Well, that was an education in itself.  To find the right pram.  Understandably, I did not wish to break the bank.  I'm not fond of borrowing, as traveling puts a hammer to things at best of times.  Secondhand options, at best were not what I had in mind. I needed something that was sturdy, but not bulky and easy to work with.

So off to the baby-shops I go to hunt down the right pram.  Now this was were I got educated.  You have a choice from a wide variety of prams.  Flimsy ones for R450-00.  No can do, as madam already weighs more than their max weight tolerance, (they say it can take her, but I doubt it will last as a dolls pram, nevermind my monster.)  Then on the other side of the spectrum is the pram delux, that you can take off road, on road, have the car seat, (hmm, I think we are past that phase) and all the other bells and whistles that "a mommy should not do without" for R5000.  What?!  I'm don't want to be funny, but even if I had all the money in the world, not even if I still had a whole rugby team to produce, I would not buy it....

It is heavy, bulky, needs an engineering degree to operate and all that so that you can impress who?  The baby?  He or she would probably prefer to be in your arms, close to your heart anyways.

Well, after a long search I found something suitable,  not the cheapest, but not more than what I feel is reasonable.  It's got all the features I need and best of all, my monster loves it.  Now the only problem is to convince her that she still has legs to use and can't be pushed everywhere...

So where is the blessing?  For one, I got the pram we need for the price I could afford. Two, my daughter loves it and three, I'm off on another great adventure in 27 sleeps. And last but not least, I learned yet again to never say never...

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

With love from
Little old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment