Saturday 16 July 2011

Kids and Sport

I must say!  I am one very proud aunt.  My nephew (10years old) was chosen to represent South Africa in Australia next month in the Karate discipline.  Who would have thought that I would see one of my family members represent our country at the Commonwealth games!

It must be the blessings of the in-laws.  My husbands family also have a couple of green and gold carriers, for gymnastics.  Quite something.  But with all these top performers in the family, it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm really chuffed with the achievements these kids have reached.  And at a very young age as well. Not something to be picky about.  I love that the kids had it in them to do it. And I appreciate the effort my sisters-in-law have put in to getting their kids to these levels.  BUT...

Truth be told, I'm glad it is not my kids.  It is nice to stand on the sideline and cheer on the troupes, but to face all that pressure?  I prefer the pressure I have thanks. ;) (OK, I'm a bit jealous as well, but only a little bit.)

I feel that if a child has the natural inclination to perform in athletics, he will get there.  You can either push it at a young age, or you can let them discover it for themselves as they grow older.  My kids have some great natural talent in some of activities, but they don't want to do the competitions. 

Does that make me a bad mother, for not pushing them into the competition?  I know that, when they do compete, they do well.  The problem is, they don't like loosing and will therefor rather not compete.  I understand that 100%. 

Anyways, shouldn't kids of this age, rather just have fun doing all the various activities?  Do we need to expose them to the cut-throat business of big competitions?  How many times do you hear the parents complain about the bitching and fighting amongst the parents at these competitions? It is scary what goes on behind the scenes.

If your child do compete, good on you!  I admire your nerves of steal.

For me and my kids?  We are happy and content in keeping active in a fun way. Doing something we love and are good at.  That is enough blessing for us for now.  And should we become competitive, we'll cross that bridge hopefully with style.

Remember, the idea of kiddies sport is FUN, not winning.  Even if winning does make it more fun. Be blessed by the fact that your child is healthy enough to do a sport.  Try not to live through your child, but let them make their choices.

And this is why I am so proud of my nephew.  He decided at an early age, this is what he wants, and he is going for it.  He is blessed by a wonderful mom and dad that support him 100% all the way there.  He is his own driving force, and I think he is going to make it big. 

And if your child choose differently, it doesn't make him a failure.  Just a person that is possibly content with who they are without having to proof themselves to anybody.  Maybe they are scared of loosing, but no amount of pressure will make it fun for them.

Don't assume, ask.  Be in contact with your child's feelings and help them to understand that no matter what their choice, you'll support their choice.

In this way, you can bless your child with a love for sport, not because of winning but because it is good, healthy fun.

Hope you all had a great sporting day!

From Little old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment