Friday 8 July 2011

Luggage! The Bane of Traveling!

I'm planning yet another holiday.  I know, life is tough for some of us.  This time I'm going with all 3 kids.  Now, normally, I'm not faced traveling with the kids.  I love dragging them of to go see new places.  This time is it is going to be a little bit more interesting, for two reasons:

Firstly, I'm traveling for almost 24hours, doing one stretch of 9 hour flying with a toddler, that refuses to sit still. Best of all?  The flight is while she is normally wide awake and we land at our destination at 5am in the morning!  Looks like mom and daughter are in for a interesting 48 hours.

The second thing that has my cage rattled, is that for the first time, I'm doing connection flights with booked in luggage.  I normally travel with only backpacks, but this time, the dive gear must go with.  Which leaves me with very little option but to take a big bag for the airplane's belly.  My 3 little backpacks just don't have enough space for it all...

This is actually my biggest worry.  You see, when it comes to trusting other people with my belongings, I just don't.  Not strangers at least.  Plus that with the great reputation that Johannesburg airport have for 'loosing' luggage, my confidence is almost 0%. 

It seems that this trip is going to be far different than any other trip we did before.  For one thing, we are going to spend a lot of time doing things with and for the kids.  The only luxury we are allowing ourselves is a bit of scuba diving, where the kids will have to deal with a foreign babysitter, that probably can't speak English. ;) But we promise we won't let it take up too much of our time.  We will still snorkel and play with them.

I must admit I enjoyed my holiday without the kidlings, but I know that it is far more fun to enjoy a holiday through the experience of a child.  We have quite a bit of exciting things lined up for all the kiddies and I can't wait to see their faces.  It will be worth of every complaint of boredom and hunger, and I bet there is going to be loads of those!
Another thing that is different is all the things that is going with.  Well, we've done the dive gear thing before, but that was before kids and with our own car.  This time we have a lot of luggage and a pram!  I'm starting to feel like a real mom...  My poor husband have to finally admit to being a family man!  No more mister Camel guy. 

How do normal people do it?  How do you manage to travel with loads of things and stay sane?  Do you actually have a holiday then?  Or is that why you all think I'm crazy to travel with my children? 

So, today I need your help.  I'm desperate for some advice on how to travel with  luggage that must be booked. I'm sure most of you have far more experience with that than I do.  Do I plastic wrap or not?  What is the best for locking it?  What type of bag do I take?  A big travelers bag with wheels or a suitcase with wheels?  (We are still staying in backpacker accommodation and roughing it up.)
Now, please bless me and our fellow travelers with some of your tips.  I anxiously await your ideas. Even if it is just:  'You are nuts Lulu! This can't be done.'  I love challenges like that.

May the sisterhood of traveling pants be with you all.

From Little old me.

4 comments:

  1. This was well timed. I've just read this post which may be helpful to you: http://coolthisaword.blogspot.com/2011/07/this-one-mamas-guide-to-air-travel-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm, Can you resend the link. My search engine doesn't seem to recognise it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an adventurist thing you're doing with your family.You need prayer...girl...prayer and lots of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle. Lots of prayer will help a lot!

    ReplyDelete