Sunday 3 July 2011

Ever wondered why you are so busy?

Have you ever went to bed at night and wondered where the day had gone?  Or maybe seen your child achieve something, and wonder when did he get so big?  What about that phone call you received to tell you someone you loved had passed away, and you wonder why you never got to see that person as often as you wished?

It seems that our lives has become so busy, we no longer have time to stop and appreciate what we have.  Even our holidays are jam packed with activities, because there is just so much to do...

I find it fascinating that in today's life, where we have dishwashers, tumble dryers, washing machines, bread makers and other time saving devices, we have less time on our hands than our parents had, and far less than our grandparents and great grandparents.

One generation ago knew how to sew, knit, crochet, process food to last a winter, grow vegetable gardens, make tools and do intricate woodwork.  These were not skills for the select few, but most people could do it.

Parents had time to read stories to their kids at night, especially the Bible.  Families had time to spend together, passing on the skills.

Truth be told, I would be lost if a world disaster hits us tomorrow and leaves us back in the stone age.  I can't grow a vegetable without chemical help, I can't kill an animal, I can barely think of a way to keep things clean with out our modern aids.

I have a telephone, cellphone, email, skype and facebook. And yet, I don't nearly keep in touch with my friends and family the way the old people did.  It is short notes here and there, but that personal touch of a well written letter is gone.  Phone calls are kept brief because one of you are busy doing something to keep you too busy to talk.

It is scary when you stop for a moment and look at our world.  This is not a rat race.  It is an ant colony.  We are all kept busy in one form or another.  Even when we rest we are kept busy.  Sport, movies, TV, clubs, you name it, there is something out there that you must do when you are having a rest from work.

It is no wonder so many people struggle to sleep.  We are so well trained to be busy, that our brains refuse to switch off.

The big question here is, WHY?   Why are we kept busy?  What drives us to be so busy?  Why can't we just snuggle up without having to do anything?  Just simply enjoy each others company. Why did meal times become only a time to feed the body and no longer to feed the relationships we are in, or even our souls?

I've struggled with this question for years.  You see, maybe it is because I'm actually a very lazy person and hates to be pushed around to do things, or maybe there is something more behind it, but I hate the rush of today.

Many of my friends are astounded that I get time to read a book in a couple of days, where they take weeks to finish the same book.  My reason:  I don't have TV, so I read while you watch your soapies.  But also, I need time during the day, where I can pause everything and just be.  I have found that if I don't make an effort to find just 5 minutes a day to do nothing in, I go insane.

So way is that time to stop so important?  God created in each and everyone of us the longing to spend time with Him.  We will not find peace, if we don't find time to spend with Him. The less time we spend with Him, the less time we have, the more unimportant things take up our time.  You can only connect with God if you are at a standstill.  God don't like hit and run conversations, because you don't get to hear what He has to say.

The Bible clearly shows that God speaks in the stillness.  When your heart, mind and body is in a quiet state.

O, we can speak to Him while we run around, don't get me wrong, I think God likes it when we talk to Him regardless.  But He LOVES it when we take the time to listen to His replies. 

Watch out that your life is not so busy that you forget the most important relationship there is.  The one between God and you. The next time you are so busy that you think your life is out of control, look at where you are at, in your relationship with God. 

Remember, there is someone out there, that don't want you to stand in relation with God and he will keep you so busy that you'll never find the time, unless you make the time.

So what blessing can I leave you with today?

I want to leave you with the words of the psalmist:

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone, my hope comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation:  He is my fortress, I will not be shaken.  Psalm 62:5-6

I hope you all have a more peaceful week my friends.

Yours in Christ.
Little old me.

1 comment:

  1. oh you and I sooo connect on this :) I think about this often and get really frustrated with how the day disappears and I really haven't accomplished much, but at the same time I felt too busy to connect with people properly, never mind my own children. I suspect my problem is too much time online! :) But it's really more than that, and I can't put my finger on it properly, besides admitting that I don't work nearly as hard as I could at being proactive. Sigh. It's an ongoing challenge. Here's to going to bed now so I can wake up refreshed and ready to tackle a new day - starting with the Word! :)

    ReplyDelete