Tuesday 28 June 2011

The Connection between Walls and Moms

I love the movie, "Shirley Valentine".  It starts off were Shirley walks into her house, laden with grocery bags.  She gets to the her kitchen and says: "Hello Wall!  How was your day?" 

Don't we all feel like that at times?  I mean, really!  My kitchen wall listens to me a lot better than any of my children, animals or even my husband.  It is a far lot easier to get my kitchen wall to do what I tell it to do.  "Stand straight, be still and look clean!"  Unless a naughty dog or child gets hold of it, it generally, does just that.  You try getting your kids of animals to do it!

Maybe that is why women are so great at doing blogs and facebook.  Especially, moms.  You see, here is a wall that actually have the ability to talk back.  How great is that? And if you don't like what it have to say, you simply find another wall to talk to.  If a wall becomes cheeky or offensive, you can simply unfriend it.

 Sometimes, the wall has some brilliant advice, on where to buy great toys, or stationary, or where the latest good sales are happening.  Sometimes, it is a comforting shoulder for when you miss someone close, or had a bad experience.

This wall makes you laugh with silly jokes and is a great gossip partner.  And best of all, the gossip it tells you are generally speaking the type that the other party don't mind you sharing with your friends.

The wall shows you photos of your family and friends from far away.  You get to see how their kids grow and learn and become humans in their own right.  And if you are really missing them, it gives you the quick opportunity to talk to set person, without having to pick up the old telephone.

Much more useful than the old average kitchen wall our ancestors (aka moms and grandmothers) had to deal with.  Sure it is a bit more pricey and time consuming, but at least it talks back, and no-one thinks you are crazy when you say you had a lovely time talking to your wall.

Imagine the poor cave women.  Their kitchen was outside most of the time.  If they were lucky, they had a babbling brook to talk to. (ever thought way we call it a babbling brook?) Other wise it was the tree trunk, or poor shrub that had to listen to her complaining about hubby being out all week to hunt and still, all they had to eat was the roots she found 4 weeks ago, before the birth of baby number 28 and how she wish that son number 5 would leave his playing with round sticks alone and make the fires bigger.  I mean, what good is anything round?  It just keeps on rolling away!

Look at the Jews. Even they have realized the "power" of a wall.  They believe that one special wall can help them to get all their issues delivered to God, or so it looks to me... (Please, people don't take offense, I'm just rambling about how things look to me, you are welcome to tell me the truth behind this wall.  I've never been good at studying history.)

OK, so back to today.  What blessing is there in all this ramblings?  Well, for one thing, we finally have a wall that talks back.  You can grow closer to your family and friends thanks to this wall.  Yes, it has its bad side, but if you are a woman who too often felt that the only thing in your house listening to you was the kitchen wall, at least you now can share that conversation with your blog or facebook wall.  Look at me!  Here I've just done that...

Three cheers and hip-hip hoorays for walls all around the world!  You have managed to keep the majority of mothers and wives sane over many centuries... 

Ok, enough talking to this wall.  My husband finally has a moment to actually listen to me, so I better make the best of it.  :)

Enjoy your walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment