Friday 21 October 2011

Of Cats and Chickens

I love my cats.  They give me a great amount of pleasure and laughs.  Cats have very defined characters and I love the way they tell you what they want.  We have five cats.  Each one has its own personality.

There is Mommy Cat, who is a shy, gentle kitty that don't demand much.  She prefers my company and will wait for the bratlings to be in bed before coming to me for a cuddle.  She also "prays" regularly for whatever she needs.  Like when the food bowls are empty or the doors are closed.

Then there is Fluffy Cat.  She is extremely shy and prefers hiding in the trees, where she can leisurely eye the birds in the garden, without being disturbed by the dogs.  She is very vocal and always greats us when she comes in to eat or to complain if she got wet in the rain.  A beautiful black, fluffy cat that is everyones darling.

The third lady in the house is Grumpy Cat.  She had a fight with a car in her young days, and survived with a broken leg.  Needless to say, when it is cold, she is super grumpy.  Normally, she is a cuddle cat, who spends her days on either my bed or her favourite bratling's bed.  She is most days keen on a cuddle, but after one too many stroke, will attack you teeth and nails.  Girly Bratling is her nemesis and the two of them are forever in fights.  It is getting better though, now that Girly Bratling has realized she won't win the battles.

Our fourth cat is Garfield in the flesh.  He is a beautiful ginger cat that has more names than we can remember.  He mostly goes by Makkie or Blondie.  He is the easiest cat you can imagine.  You want to cuddle him, you just pick him up. As long as he can sleep in the house all day, have a full bowl of food and the occasional cuddle, he is content.  He too "prays" like his mother, but because he is normally very content, it is not too often.  This is one cat that the bratlings can totally smother with love and he won't complain.

Last but not the least, is probably the cat that is the biggest contradiction in personality you can think.  Our "Serial Killer"  is a beautiful big tubby cat.  At home he is as placid as you get them.  Loves the bratlings and allow Girly Bratling to do whatever she wants with him.  He loves his evening cuddles after dinner with the bratlings and usually sleeps with either of the two younger bratlings.  He has quite a story to tell and it is his story that I want to share with you.

I picked him up in the middle of the road as a tiny kitten.  Still too young to really be without a mother.  He arrived to a chaotic house and within the first 24 hours of his life with us, got into a fight with the dogs and tore a lung.  After another 24 hours of panic, this very wild little kitten was back home with no visible side effects of his fight with the dogs.

He soon became a darling little thing, and is now a very big brat, but adored by all, for he is so loving at home.  He loves cuddles and playing.  He comes in after his day of terrorizing the neighbourhood and tells us all he did.  He now greets the dogs by lovingly cuddling with them.  He playfully swats his adopted brother in greeting and then will curl himself around our legs while telling us about his day.

He loves where we live, for his hunting grounds are huge.  There are 3 "farms" around us, with lots of open space teeming with life of all kinds.  It is thanks to his over eager hunting skills that we now have ducks.  He took on a duckling, that he didn't manage to kill.  He did bring it into the house to proudly show us his success and now we have ducks. Quack survived and the neighbours didn't want him back.    He has since learned not to try and attack our ducks, for they bite back!

Sensibly, the duck farm started to lock their ducks up, so that they don't loose too many to the predators that rules the plains. (My killer cat, falcons, crows and cerval cats)  And so our serial killer, had to find new victims.  What better, than to chase and catch prey that is no challenge at all?

So he turned his focus onto the next farm, who have a very scatter brained chickens that can't protect their own chicks. It doesn't help that my neighbour refuse to lock them up at night.  So easy prey is on hand.  Only problem now is that this is causing friction between us and the neighbours, as he is literally killing them off faster than they can breed.

And here the problem of the day.  She feels I must lock my cat up until he becomes a house cat.  (Fat chance of that ever happening) And I feel, if it were my chickens, I would keep them safe, by building them a proper chicken run.

I hope to very soon have my own chickens, who will be bigger than the cat, so hopefully, he'll learn that chickens are only food if mom serves them up dead.

As for now, well, I wait for my neighbour to come and complain again.  What I will say, I don't know, but I hope that God will bless me that day with a angel in front of my mouth.  For if He doesn't guard my tongue, trouble is sure to follow.

Here's hoping God will bless us with a solution, that won't mean we have to get rid of our serial killer.  He is really just a cute and cuddly little pussy cat, that is driven by his natural instincts.

If you have any solutions to suggest, please let me know.

From little old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment